 Robotics / 18069
Re: Request for designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:21:28 GMT

Dean

Thanks for the description of your course. I sure hope your students are up
to it - there's a lot there for anyone to learn. Presumably they'll all be
mechanically competent, just unused to Lego. I can think of several friends
who, after your six hours, would still be puzzling over what a gear does.

Can I suggest as practical tasks:

A gripper that uses one motor to grip and then lift. I'm sure the design is
well known but the basic principle is that two fingers can open and close
(rotating about vertical axles). But the platform they're pivoted on can
also swing upwards (about a horizontal axle). The horizontal axle provides
the drive to the fingers (e.g. by a worm and 24T) but when the force of the
fingers gripping is high enough, the horizontal axle torque lifts the
object. Reversing the motor lowers then releases the object.

For Cams and Cranks, you could have something like a two-wheel wheelbarrow
propelled by a pair of legs. That would get them thinking about phases -
probably the most important part of Cams and Cranks.

You might also want them to build a servo. Say, an arm that follows the
position of a (remote) rotation sensor. You could get them worried about
Overshoot and Hunting. I doubt if they'll manage a PID algorithm on an RCX
but you could discuss how a dead-zone is useful. Servos aren't used much in
mobile robots but are very important in assembly robotics.

Good luck

Peter