 Robotics / 17897
Re: Infrared communication expansion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 21:55:19 GMT

2 ways that have worked for me, both using the long range IR mode:

1) Point the RCX's IR Port at the ceiling and your IR Transmitter/
reciever unit at the ceiling and bounce the signals off your ceiling.
I have vaulted ceilings painted white and get over 20 feet x 20 feet
coverage across a whole room, though your mileage may vary.  I guess
you could also mount your transmitter on your ceiling too...

2) Mount the RCX's IR Port again pointing at the ceiling and place
a white paper cone or Aluminium foil cone pointed tip down (lame
ascii graphics follow):

\        /
\      /
  \    /
   \  /
    \/

+---------+
| RCX IR  |
|  Port   |
| Pointing|
|   UP    |
+---------+

And have your IR Transmitter/Reciever at roughly the same height
as the Cone pointing horizontally/parallel to the ground.  A corner
of a room isn't a bad spot and you'll get some pretty decent
coverage (over 30 feet in my room, also bouncing off a completely
mirrored wall at the far end of the room.  More prone to be blocked
by obstacles than method 1 above.

Low tech, but works.  Once again, your mileage may vary.

Dave

gigamanx wrote:

I'm curious to know if anyone has expanded the communication of the infrared
on the RCX brick to a point where it could be interacted with on a 360
degree scale. Somewhat like a radio frequency although the communication
does not require going through a wall. I have found the IR tower
communication to be fairly broad but am still trying to find if someone has
made it possible to communicate with the rcx whichever way the brick is
pointing.

Thanks!