 Robotics / 17771
Re: Control lego motors and rotation sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:45:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "T. Alexander Popiel" <popiel@wolfskeep.com> writes:
In message:  <Gv6Ery.C07@lugnet.com>
            "John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> writes:
Wow! I hope LegOS has the option to use On and Float too. I was planning on
migrating to LegOS soon, but if it does On and Brake, it is to be avoided.
That technique simply burns battery power!

Oh, it probably does have that option; if nothing else, you
can change the code to do it that way.  I simply find the
ON/BRAKE modulation to be more useful, so haven't bothered
looking for an alternative.

- Alex

The 'on-brake-on' method of speed control is VERY useful.  When implemented
it looks and acts like a stepping motor.  For an example, go to my website
at http://www3.sympatico.ca/jdkalpin and navigate to my Injection Molding
Factory.  There is a motorized air valve with a narrow throttling range,
being opened and closed with great delicacy. You could not do it any other way!

I'm not sure that it uses extra power.  I believe the 'brake' mode is
achieved with back-EMF by short circuiting the motor terminals.  I
dry-cycled the Mold Press for several hours and did not need to change
batteries.  However, it is not easy duty for the motors;  it's a testament
to their design ...that I have not ruined one yet.

Jerry