 Robotics / 17734
RE: USB Port problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:34:21 GMT

Besides turning off virus scanning software (which shouldn't be necessary), make
sure you have the latest update drivers for your computer hardware.  If that
doesn't work, then the problem is most likely a hardware resource allocation
problem.

Many systems (especially pre-built ones, such as Compaq's) like to share IRQs
unnecessarily, especially IRQ11 for USB and Video.  Generally, this isn't a
problem unless multiple devices are competing for the processor's attention at
once.

Typically, I set things up accordingly:

Video:  IRQ11  (If I can't adjust this manually, then I don't share any thing
else with it)
Sound cards:  IRQ10  (OK to share this with most other devices)
Network Cards:  IRQ5  (OK to share this with most other devices)
USB:  IRQ9/2  (IRQ9 and IRQ2 are a shared IRQ)  (OK to share this with most
other devices)

IRQ's 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, and 15 are typically unavailable.

If your computer DOES NOT have a video capture card and DOES allow you to turn
off "IRQ for VGA", you can gain access to IRQ11 for other devices.

If you only need one physical COM port, the 2nd one can be disabled which frees
up IRQ3.

Most people use two IDE channels on their computers to improve performance.  If
standard CD-ROM performance isn't a big issue, IRQ15 can be freed up by turning
off the Secondary channel and placing the hard drive and CD-ROM drive on the
same cable (HD as Master, CD as Slave).

SCSI cards tend to throw these general settings out the window... in such cases,
I remove network and sound cards to reconfigure SCSI cards and then add the
network card, then sound.

It also helps to set LPT ports to "Bi-Directional" or "EPP" instead of "ECP".
ECP uses a DMA and most printers don't need it.  (Generally, only
Fax-Printer-Scanner combo's need the ECP function).  Many newer printers won't
have their full features available if "Standard" or "Output Only" is chosen.
You'd be amazed at how many seemingly un-related problems can be resolved by
changing this setting.

The usual disclaimers apply...

Rob