 Robotics / 17613
  Re: Discontinuous motion.

(...) OH! I see! Very clever. I guess I should explain why I wanted this thing in the first place. All the talk last week about building a Turing machine using Lego - and building primitive mechanical computers in general led me to try to build a (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Discontinuous motion.

Steve, Here's an "all gear" based solution (minus the chain I used from the drive shaft): (URL) not sure how much gear lash is in the design I came up with, but the thing runs very well (much better than I thought it would). It's been quite some (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Discontinuous motion.

Steve, I don't know if this will help you at all, but I certainly had fun with it. I put together a (quite bulky) version of the Geneva Wheel. (URL) Baker" wrote in message news:3CAB63F5.7A5CF2...ail.net... <snip> (...) you (...) moves (...) I don't (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Discontinuous motion.

Wow ! bulky indeed, but true Geneva mechanism... Congratulations ! Philo (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Discontinuous motion.

(...) <snipped very interesting description> Just to chime in here quickly, you could use the lego small chain links instead of tons of gears to create gear trains. Advantages: gearing ratios are retained as in trains, backlash/chatter is reduced (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)