 Robotics / 17636
Re: Discontinuous motion.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 06:54:22 GMT

Steve,

I don't know if this will help you at all, but I certainly had fun with it.

I put together a (quite bulky) version of the Geneva Wheel.

http://home.insight.rr.com/worldof/lego/gen_whl_esc/index.html

Joe

"Steve Baker" wrote in message news:3CAB63F5.7A5CF2B6@airmail.net...

<snip>

I guess I should explain why I wanted this thing in the first place.

All the talk last week about building a Turing machine using Lego - and
building primitive mechanical computers in general led me to try to build
a simple adding machine using gears and stuff.  (I'm aware of the awesome
pneumatic adder someone presented recently).

So, the first step was to build a counter - like a car odometer - where • you
spin one axle and when it's spun a complete revolution, a second wheel • moves
1/10th of a revolution.  When the second wheel has undergone a complete
revolution, a third wheel moves forward a tenth of a revolution.  This
gives you the 1's, 10's and 100's numbers based on how much the wheels
have moved.  It didn't need to be a base 10 system though.

The first step of that was to get a reliable mechanism that would allow
one revolution of the input axle to rotate the second wheel by 1/10th of
a revolution.  A 10:1 gear ratio would do that - but car odometers don't
do that.  The 10's digit stays absolutely still until the 1's wheel is
just about to clock over from '9' back to '0' - and then it moves quite
quickly onto the next 10's digit.

I don't know how you could get a 10:1 (not for lack of trying to figure it
out)... but you could do a 16:1 or an 8:1 (maybe)

Have fun 8-)

<snip>