 Robotics / 17535
RE: Infra-Red
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:25:08 GMT

I remember seeing a web site which described how to convert a serial IR tower to
a USB one.  Perhaps that would solve your problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Schiedermeier Reinhard [mailto:rs@cs.fhm.edu]
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 4:52 AM
To: Juergen Stuber
Cc: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Infra-Red

Juergen Stuber wrote:

The reason is that my laptop doesn't have a serial port. Lego says
IR and USB<->Serial does not work... but I don't want to buy 2.0 to
get the USB tower.

The USB tower doesn't work well with Linux for the moment.

I think this is not entirely true: Depending on your USB controller it may work
quite well. I have used USB-towers with Linux 2.4.16, NQC 2.4.r2 in a class last
week. They ran for 6 whole days on 12 machines without any significant problems.

Reinhard

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>