 Robotics / 17355
Re: Trilobite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 00:04:13 GMT

A question on trilonite:  How is its lateral stability if it hits a wall at
an angle or any irregular mountain?

The trilobite is very very strong (it chewed up and knocked down
earlier, more hastily built, duplo walls), but it is also heavy and
it  can't lift itself by one arm (I just tried to take the wall with
only one side and was cringing for the integrity of the pieces
involved as it tried). I did get past the wall engaging just one arm,
but it involved a lot of manuevering.
Going at the wall at an angle was ugly, one arm went up the other got
stuck down, I backed the arms up and ripped up the front sensor
assembly.

This experiment was very inspiring actually. I just freed up a pair
of treads in finally talking my son into relinquishing one of the
Manas, so I may rebuild the Trilobite with 4 front treads and put two
motors to the task of rotating the arms.

BTW, I had forgotten to say that another inspiration was this:

http://robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/tasks/tmr/papers/UrbanRobotPaper0700.pdf

And if I can find some cheap and big rubber treads that will work
with a row of 3x2 motorcycle wheels  I may try something closer to
it. However, that wouldn't address the speed vs. torque issue (though
obviously a 2 speed transmission would) and I think I am right at the
edge of an optimal weight/power ratio, making it bigger would
probably require a lot more motors (that I don't have) to get the
same performance.

Heh, now I am curious, what's the greatest number of motors anyone on
this list has mechanically summed together into a modular power
plant?

Elijah