 Robotics / 17323
17322  |  17324
Subject:
Trilobite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 04:22:16 GMT

I really wanted the steerable shrimp to work out, it is so
aesthetically pleasing as a design that it just seemed to the be
Right Thing(tm). However, it required a LOT of motors, sensors etc.
and if I geared it to climb it would only crawl along the rest of the
time. In addition, it seems to me that whenever you put wheels at the
end of pylons there is too much lateral force in turning for lego to
handle very well (keeping a reasonable weight).
After the Shrimp I tried a mars sojourner thing, but it had the same
basic problems. So I decided to stop assuming I needed ground
clearance and start addressing my basic requirements."Climb when
needed, zip along when possible". the result is the Trilobite:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~elijah/trilobite.html

I am pretty happy with its abilities so far, however the sensor
bumpers need to be redone.

Incidentally, in the area of rechargable batteries I recently came
across this:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Even though this is an independent review I suppose since a Rayovac
battery comes out on top appropriate disclosure requires I say that I
also have recently become employed by Rayovac (as a programmer and I
haven't even been to battery class yet so any battery knowledge I
have is solely by way of supplying my son's toys). (and no, I can't
get you a free case of 1600s :o)  *I* can't even get a free case of
1600s)

Elijah