 Robotics / 17272
Re: Keeping tower on for sporadic broadcasts from RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:46:56 GMT

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:

   Easy enough for the RCX, but how do I get the IR tower to stay alive
and receiving all the time so the PC gets the broadcast packets whenever
they come it? Can it be done by holding DTR or RTS or some serial line
high, or does the tower always shut off after a timeout after sending data?

   Do I need to send dummy keepalive bytes to the IR tower to make it remain
in a powered on in order to receive?

You could use one of the solutions of John Barnes,
  1. modifiying your IR-tower (adding 1 diode)
  2. building your own IR-tower
you can find both on my site
http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~smientki/Lego_Knex/Lego_electronica/IR_tower/IR_tower.htm#Keeping
IR-tower