 Robotics / 17221
Re: Motorized landing gear question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:40:00 GMT

Aaron Sneary wrote:

I've been pondering using one of the Znap motors

(These are identical to Mindstorms motors - right?  Certainly the motors
*I* picked up from Znaps sets are indistinguishable from Mindstorms motors
...I don't think they ever shipped a different one with Znaps.)

to power a landing gear
mechanism strong enough to at least hold, if not lift a decent sized space
craft (including the motor and battery box- if possible) Any ideas? I was
thinking worm gear and some kind of speed-to-power transmission. I'd love some
idea help, so I don't have to re-invent the landing gear, so to speak.

Well, the worm gear should allow the mechanism to hold in place without
imposing any strain on the motor - so that's a non-issue.

The amount of force the motor can apply is theoretically unlimited - you
can just keep gearing it down, multiplying the force and dividing the speed.

However, there are certainly practical limitations:  One is that every
additional gear in the train adds friction - use 8t's and 40t's to minimise
the number of gears in the train and to reduce the speed as fast as possible.

Another limitation is that of the mechanical strength of the Lego parts.
I've never managed to strip a Lego gear - but I did once twist an
axle irreversably so you can certainly damage your Lego by down-gearing
a motor...also beware of catching your finger in such a contraption -
those gear teeth are quite a bit stronger than your skin!

Hence, the standard Znap/Mindstorms motor is not the limiting factor in
your design unless you are concerned with the speed at which this action
happens.  It doesn't take many stages of gearing to reduce the speed to
something so slow that you can't really see it moving!

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net