 Robotics / 17088
RE: My Ambulators
Newsgroups:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:14:57 GMT

From: Nathan Nesbit [mailto:nathann@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 11:38 AM
To: Rob Reed; lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: RE: My Ambulators

Why does the datalog not work for you?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Reed [mailto:robert_hilman@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 11:28 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com

Using the programming environment that comes with Mindstorms is a little
frustrating in that I want to simply capture data streams in a data file
and dump it to, say, a spreadsheet.

What I've found myself doing is using the LCD window on the rcx module
to get a visual on a reading (say, rpm or temp) over a fixed time
interval, then writing it down on a sheet of paper, one row of data for
each condition.

I am sure that there is a more elegant way to do this, perhaps storing a
series of data points into variables in the system, but there is still
the problem of output.

I find myself smiling and agreeing with Brian in that I spend enough of
my life in front of a computer already, and the joy of tangible
mechanical creation often overides the urge to program.

-Rob

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Sadowski writes:
Well..I did kinda, Some foreground information is needed before I can
explain that. The lego touch sensors arent simple toggle throw type
switches, they have a precision, where the touch sensor can have values

ranging ( for example ) 0 to 100, where 0 is no touch at all, and 100
is fully depressed.

The 16 tooth double bevel gear doesnt completely depress the switch. In

theory you could use the RAW touch sensor data to determine when each
tooth of the gear makes contact with the sensor.

I work as a programmer for a living, so I dont like getting into the
programming part as much as the pure mechanical building of the legos,
so I never wrote a program to determine if that rotation sensor
actually works, or how reliable it is, therefore its just theoretical (

hopefully I spelt that one right ). I'd would love to see someone write

the code to determine if this actually works.

Hope that helps.
-Brian

did I conclude it right that you made a
rotation sensor with the normal lego switch ?
If so, great (because finally we've a destination for that terrible
sensor), does it work well ? If not so (maybe also great) but what is
it ? Stef Mientki

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: application/ms-tnef;