 Robotics / 17043
Re: NQC and RedHat linux 6 on laptop
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:24:12 GMT

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:

My laptop has
an onboard trackball on COM1, so naturally I need to tell Nqc that the
IR Tower is on a different serial port. RH 6 seems to determine the
serial port is COM3 so I tell it to use /dev/ttyS03 on the command line.

   No luck. I see that checking through /proc, the COM3 port is not showing
carrier detect for that port, which I believe is normal for the IR tower.
The muLinux doesn't have /proc, so I can't compare anything here.

I've seen this kind of problem before.  The difficulty is that PC's
only have two interrupt lines for the four possible serial ports.

Generally, ttyS1 and ttyS3 share a line and ttyS2 and ttyS4 share the
other.

That means that by default, you can only have *either* 1 and 2, 1 and 4
3 and 2 or 3 and 4.

This wouldn't be so bad if it were not for the fact that modems and mice
take up serial ports even if they aren't physically plugged into them. That
means that on one of my desktop machines, I have the mouse in one port and
the modem in another - so there are no ports left for the RCX, my digital
camera, etc.  One of my laptops has one port dedicated to the (useless)
touch-pad mouse thingy that's built into the keyboard - and when I plug in
an external mouse, I can't get the remaining serial port to work.

Fortunately there are now *five* PC's here at the Baker residence and
the one I use as my DSL Internet firewall has both ports free!

I'm guessing that your laptop has an onboard modem and that is eating
one of the IRQ's with the trackball taking the other.

Most BIOS's let you change which IRQ line goes with which port - so
you can reconfigure some of this stuff.

I believe that there is a version of the Linux serial port driver that
will allow IRQ sharing so that all four ports are accessible...but I've
never needed to try it.

All this is from memory - so please forgive any inaccuracies and the total
lack of URL's to point you to!

(The compile process seemed to go fine on the new laptop, anything I should
have changed in the config before compiling that I might have missed?)

No - it's not a problem with NQC.

It may also be that these tiny versions of Linux that you are playing with
have been stripped to the bone and therefore are missing some of the drivers
with fancier features...however I'm almost certain that the "shared-IRQ"
situation is the problem here.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net