 Robotics / 17010
Re: Inertial guidance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:16:35 GMT

I am developing a two axis acceleration sensor that is RCX compatible.
Unfortunately, that by itself is not sufficient for inertial navigation in a
fixed plane.  (i.e. a robot that stays on the floor)  A fully inertial system
would need a rotational acceleration sensor.  I don't know a good way to build
one.

It might be possible to build a hybrid system that used a beacon locator to
determine rotational changes, instead of a rotation acceleration sensor.  We
could measure the angle between a line to the beacon, and the direction of
robot travel.

An easier way is to measure the angle to two different beacons, and triangulate
to get position.  But this way does not teach the physics of inertia.

How would one make inertial sensors for the RCX anyway?  I suppose you could
rig a plumb bob to a rotation sensor - but as you had already pointed out,
rotation sensors are inaccurate at low rotation speeds.  Hmm...

--Ian