 Robotics / 16910
Re: free vb edition (was: firmware update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 08:57:29 GMT

"Mathias Uhr" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
hi andreas

with the book "lego mindstorms" by dirk louis and peter müller
(german, isbn 3-8272-9081-3) comes a cd with a free vb6 version
("working model edition"). it is fully functional, the only limitation
is that you can't compile exe-files.
i dunno if this version is available elsewhere. you probably want to do
a search on the microsoft pages. (good luck...)

This "working model" is also available with quite a few beginner's books on
VB6. It is also limited in that you can only have 2 forms/modules in your
project, which is fine when just trying stuff out but a real pain when you
need to build something a bit more complex. I can't remember if it allows
you to add "custom controls" to a form so you might not be able to use
Spirit.ocx with it. I haven't seen it available for download anywhere, but
if you're interested in learning VB6 it can be a good starting point. There
is also the Learning Edition of VB6 which you do have to pay for (although
you can get it with the MS Press books "Visual Basic Programmer's Guide" and
"Visual Basic Step by Step", plus a training CD, for about £100 - I guess in
US that's about $140 - but my company sells it for £76.50 in the UK), but it
can compile EXE's - although not native code ones, and you can't distribute
your VB apps to other people (plus there's no setup wizard to build install
files). For developing apps the Professional Edition is really the starting
point, but it's pretty expensive unless you're going to start selling your
programs or your company is willing to pay for it. I've never used the
Enterprise Edition, never needed the extra tools you get with it, and I've
been programming VB for nearly 7 years now.

Dan