 Robotics / 16905
RE: WSH & Spirit.ocx (used to be firmware update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 02:59:14 GMT

I'm resending this with the file renamed.  It seems like a lot of e-mail
gateways block attachments that end in .VBS

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Nesbit
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 6:53 PM
To: 'Andreas Stabno'; lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: WSH & Spirit.ocx (used to be firmware update)

I've been meaning to make a web page about a recent experiement of mine.
I never get around to it so I figure I ought to just post it now.  I was
wondering if one could use VBScript to program an RCX via spirit.ocx.
So I tried it.  And it works great.  Windows Script Host (WSH) can
interface with spirit.ocx just fine.

So if you are interested in programming the RCX using Spirit.ocx then
WSH provides a free way to do so.  Any WSH langauage should work with it
just fine (VBScript & JavaScript are built in already).  Other languages
have WSH plugins which are available from 3rd parties (for example I
believe there is a Perl version for WSH).

One interesting thing I think this should make easy is to make calls to
spirit.ocx inside a web page, or on a web server.  Seems like it would
be an interesting way to write a custom remote control for a given
robotic design.  Or allow people to remote control (or program) your RCX
via a browser and your web server.  I'm sure other people have probably
done this already, so I doubt this is anything new.

You can get the lastest version of WSH from
http://www.microsoft.com/scripting  WinXP has the latest version in it.
Win2k has a slightly older version (which shouldn't matter for spirit
programming).  I think all other versions of Windows need the download
installed.

In VBScript one creates the an instance of the spirit object like this.
Set oSpirit = CreateObject("Spirit.SpiritCtrl.1")
One can then use the SDK docs from Lego to do stuff.

Attached is a VBS file that I used to experiment with.  It should be
enough to get anyone started.

Enjoy