 Robotics / 16854
  Re: Lego patents

(...) Actually, the distinction is simple... the legos are what is used to implement the invention -- the patent would surely not claim that the invention is due to the legos and is confined to existing only when implemented with legos. With that (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lego patents

(...) Just be sure that in your class you refer to them as "LEGO bricks" and not LEGOs. To do so would be doing your students a disservice. :) (...) This question isn't clear to me. Are you asking if someone can obtain a patent (or at least build a (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lego patents

(...) This bears repeating, and ought to be heeded by those who wish to teach IP law or speak about it and be taken seriously... the correct term is a lot closer to "LEGO(r) brick" or "LEGO brand building element" than it is to "legos", and if you (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lego patents

(...) That can't be true. You are saying that you couldn't patent a machine because it's made from standard parts? People patent electronic devices made from off-the-shelf logic chips all the time. I don't see any legal reason why a Lego machine (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lego patents

(...) Not at all. What I'm saying is that just putting a bunch of LEGO bricks together does not qualify something as a device which can be patented. Now if that LEGO construction can remove cancerous tumours without leaving any scars.... now that's (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)