 Robotics / 16811
16810  |  16812
Subject:
Noisy sound sensor ;-?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:47:57 GMT

Hi
I have built the sound sensor in the Extreme Mindstorms book, and the basic
operation appears to work fine. However when I have tried to use it in a
full program which starts motors at the start of the program, the input is
behaving as if it has been triggered. Also, if I shock load the motor
(quietly) then the sensor will also trigger. At first I thought the sensor
was maybe picking up the acoustic noise of the motors starting up, but
having covered the sensor with a pillow ;-) and still having the sensor
trigger, then I think it must be picking up electrical noise somewhere. I
have tried ensuring the the lead from sensor to RCX is not near the motor
leads, that the sensor is not near anything and shielding the whole assembly
and lead with tin foil. I would try a ferrite ring, but don't have one handy
at present.
Can anyone shed any light on my problem or had similar problems with the
sound sensor triggering unexpectedly?
Cheers and Merry Christmas all
Mike McFarlane