 Robotics / 1671
1670  |  1672
Subject:
RCX trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:49:36 GMT

I was just looking at a 4559 train set (well, it was on sale, you know?)
and I realised that the new (shows how old I am) metal-rail train motor
has this utility power output (which has gratuitously had the
obviously-designed-in headlamps removed in 4559, how come?). So.....

...if you got some old style plastic rails...

...and you used the light sensor and the barcode trick for trackside
signalling...

...and you put an RCX in each train...

...and had it drive that "output"...

...and you used a dacta box and either light sensors or touch sensors
for train-in-block detection...

...and you put several of the IR towers around the track for global
coordination...

...you could easily spend upwards of $5000 on a *real* LEGO train set,
with multiple autonomous trains!!!!!!!

Oh joy, oh joy!!!!

...So now I need a source of old-style non-conductive track (it does
*work* with the new train motor, mechanically speaking, doesn't it?).
And a raise.

Pity the RCX isn't six wide.

stephen

ps: Counting up: output for power, output for running lights, output for
coach lights; input for trackside barcodes, input for collision
detection, sounds great! But how to handle coupling and uncoupling so I
can shunt...?