 Robotics / 16642
Re: accu pack with rcx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:43:24 GMT

- is it possible to run the rcx on 9.6v without damage?

Yes, add up the voltage of fresh alkalines in the RCX and it is almost 9.6V
anyway.

In fact, it is

  6 * 1.65V = 9.9V

- would it be possible to recharge the accu while connected
to the rcx and the normal batteries in it?

If the charger provides about 9.6V (and the battery pack itself will limit it
to this, so that should not be a concern) and the internal RCX batteries are
isolated with a diode so that they won't be charged, I don't see why not.

Well, even when the accu is OK, quick chargers may drive the voltage above
the 9.9V cited above, so I recommend the good old C/10, 14h charge
algorithm. Also, be sure to limit the charge voltage even in this case,
because when the accus get defective, they may no longer accept the load
current, thus driving the voltage up.

Greetings

Horst