 Robotics / 16625
Re: accu pack with rcx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 04:35:44 GMT

Mathias Uhr wrote:

now some questions:
- is it possible to run the rcx on 9.6v without damage?

Yes, add up the voltage of fresh alkalines in the RCX and it is almost 9.6V
anyway.

- are my "physical thoughts" correct or would the normal
  batteries be consumed as well in operation?

You'd want some diode isolation, anode from each pack, cathodes together and
tied to the power input of the RCX so that the packs won't try to drive each
other, just the RCX. Low on-voltage schottky diodes good for 1A or more will be
OK.

- would it be possible to recharge the accu while connected
  to the rcx and the normal batteries in it?

If the charger provides about 9.6V (and the battery pack itself will limit it
to this, so that should not be a concern) and the internal RCX batteries are
isolated with a diode so that they won't be charged, I don't see why not.

I think the RCX already has a diode in series with the internal batteries to
protect them from reverse insertion - (it's been a while since I looked at the
RCX circuit so don't quote me on that), if so then you could tie your battery
pack with diode in series to that point on the RCX circuit board and save a
diode drop.

Bruce

  -- Embedded Java Technology --
Systronix: Salt Lake City Utah, USA