 Robotics / 16428
Re: Mechanical tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:06:23 GMT

Rick Clark wrote:

My input is a constantly rotating motor. What I'd like is to add a pause to a
rotation at every 1/2 turn. That is, I'd like a wheel to turn halfway, then
pause for a second or two, then turn the rest of the way, then pause again, then
begin again.

The obvious answer would be to take (say) a 40t gear wheel and file off half of
the teeth.  Put that on your input shaft and a regular 40t gear on the output
shaft and it will rotate for half of a revolution of the input and stay still
for the other half - well roughly at least.  Changing the number of teeth you
remove will alter the ratio between pause-time and rotate-time.  Gearing the
input and output shafts up or down will change the overall timing.

Of course that requires that you commit the unforgivable sin of modifying your
Lego parts...but you may not care about that.

I'm sure a solution can be managed without hacking any parts - but this is
definitely the simplest answer.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net