 Robotics / 16357
Re: About firmwares
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 05:43:24 GMT

Juergen Stuber wrote:

...what's *great* about it is
that it allows you to write (not-quite) C programs

I think it's "not quite" in the control structures
but "very little" in the data structures.

Yes...and no...the control structures (which include
parallelism) are somewhat more than C has in *some* ways
- but you are certainly right about data structures - which
are limited to 16 bit integers and (with version 2.x firmware)
small arrays.  That's not the fault of NQC though - it's due
entirely to the horrible limitations of the Lego Firmware.

without having to mess with replacing the firmware.

It's not that hard to replace the firmware, and with
the Lejos firmware you get a really nice voltage display
for free ;-)

Yep.

Personally, I think a beginner should start with NQC and progress
to LegOS and a full GCC implementation.

I've done that - but NQC is *so* convenient that I still find myself
using it for 90% of the things I do with RCX and Scout controllers.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net