 Robotics / 16230
Re: FW: anyone using sploids (join Legos and Knex)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:40:51 GMT

At 23:12 9/27/2001 -0700, David Shadovitz wrote:
Bruce,
When I saw your message I immediately ordered a sample kit.  We were a pure
Lego family, but then my son got interested in K'nex.  I felt like a
traitor,

Well, both Legos and K'nex are getting far too much of my (and my
company's) money so they should both feel glad that I exist. My wife
refuses to believe that Legos and Knex can actually have anything to do
with *work* (maybe she's just jealous).

For example the University of Utah just ordered 14 RIS 2.0 & RoboSports
sets, plus added rotation sensors and other stuff for the senior project
class I'm teaching (http://www2.ece.utah.edu/~ce4710/)

My take on the use of each is that Knex are much better at large open
support structures such as trusses and girders. Legos are much much better
at smaller more intricate structures. So my first project is a large (10
feet wide, 6 x 6 inches cross section) Knex truss as a crane arm (derrick?)
with Legos actually doing the job of the motorized/lifting portion of the
crane. I've built some sample sections that seem strong enough to do the
job (one was holding up a 40 lb carton of power supplies).

This will be suspended from the ceiling above my head in my office (so if
there's a problem, I'll know right away).

I have started a Knex yahoo user group called knex_builders@yahoo.com

My 3-1/2 year old daughter likes both systems.

There is a *fantastic* Lego user community and almost nothing for K'nex.

Bruce Boyes
------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
  Real embedded Java and much more
     High speed 8051 systems