 Robotics / 16217
Re: Beyond Lego Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:29:57 GMT

At 14:37 9/27/2001 -0400, James C. Jones wrote:

I am currently teaching a one year course in Robotics, using Lego Simple
Machines, Mechanical Engineering and Robolab.  We are thinking of offering
a Level II Robotics.  Does anyone have any ideals about what I could use
that would suite my educational needs, that goes beyond Lego Mindstorms.

Well, you could use the new JStamp and JCX system. It's being used in
several universities now (the JStamp part, JCX will be available before
year end 2001).
http://www.jcx.systronix.com and http://jstamp.com

JStamp is a native Java execution chip with a 32-bit CPU and up to 2.5
MBytes total of SRAM and Flash (not to be confused with any 8-bit
interpreters running some subset of Java).

I'm teaching a senior class at the UofUtah this semester:
http://www2.ece.utah.edu/~ce4710/

We are using Mindstorms hardware with the vastly more powerful JStamp
computer, plus additional non-Lego sensors and motors.

I just discovered www.sploids.com which are Lego bricks used to join Lego
and K'nex and have ordered some to try.

Bruce

------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------