 Robotics / 16138
Re: Disappointed with RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:24:21 GMT

Keep in mind though that what is written on the side of the box is -minimum-
requirements to run. I still have a bit of a lag with my mouse using 1.5 on
a P3 600mhz machine. But I guess I got used to it. Can't comment on v2.0
though...

"Steve Putz" <sputz@megapathdsl.net> wrote in message
Ok, I recently purchased some new 2.0 sets for our FIRST LEGO League team, • and
I am disappointed enough I think we may switch back to RIS 1.5 or maybe • start
using Robolab (which I also don't like much).

The main problem is that the GUI is unusably slow on some of our • computers,
including:

  an IBM ThinkPad 600 (Pentium II 233 MHz, 192 MB memory)
  a Sony Vaio PCG-F250 (Celeron 366 MHz, 128 MB memory)

Even though according to the side of the box, a 233 MHz is supposed to be • good
enough.  In particular the mouse tracking while in the programming • interface is
so slow, kids and adults both get frustrated and cannot use it.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is there a fix or workaround?

My other complaint is that it will not support a full 1024 x 768 size • display.

Anyway, at this rate we will have to go back to RIS 1.5 and share our • serial
towers to communicate with the new RCX units (since 1.5 will not support • the
new USB towers).

We cannot use NQC or any non-LEGO programming tool, due to rules of the • FIRST
LEGO League competition (www.firstlegoleague.org).

-- Steve Putz