 Robotics / 16135
Re: Instructions for LegOS USB support (*nix)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:08:11 GMT

Patrick Hayes wrote:

(I mention this in the context of Mindstorms, but this info is useful
for many other applications)

If your machine is fairly large (lots of memory, fast cpu) there's a
way I'm almost positive it could be done with *nix, but not for free:
VMWare ( www.vmware.com ).  Version 3 (currently in beta) includes
full support for USB when you layer Win98, Win2000, WinME, or WinXP on
top of *nix (or probably *nix above Win2K/XP).  The idea is it lets
you run two completely different OS's at the same time.  This of course
assumes you upgrade *nix to handle USB.  Since VMWare only provides a
translation layer between the OS's, instead of attempting to completely
recreate Windows like Wine does, it really does work.

That's not much of a solution though - even if you are prepared to splurge
the $$$ for VMWare, there is also the matter of buying a copy of Windoze
(unless you happend to have been unfortunate enough to have already paid
the Microsoft Tax).

Also, there isn't much contact between the two OS's - so if you want to
run your editor, NQC, etc on the Linux side, you have to actually transfer
the files from one OS to the other...or run Samba or something.

Finally, if you are developing software on the Linux PC to talk to the
RCX as its trundling around, that's not going to work on the Windoze
side of the fence.

Plex86 does it for free, but I'm almost positive it doesn't do USB yet.

I don't think it does either.  USB support came rather late to Linux and
not too many applications are set up to work with it (yet).

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net