 Robotics / 16041
Re: Building a peripheral bus from motor output
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:45:32 GMT

At 00:34 8/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:

Hi all,

I recently read an excellent paper by Fred Martin (of MIT fame) on building
toys in a modular fashion. His microcontroller was similar to the RCX but
had
one key addition - a two wire serial bus so that active peripherals could
be
attached and controlled.

Do you have a link to this paper?

We are taking a similar approach and using SPI on our JCX controller. We
have designed in support for over 20 addressable I/O modules. For example,
4 motors are a module, 8 Lego compatible inputs takes up 2 modules.

Other modules such as RF modem, interface to TTl-level UART I/O from the
JCX controller.

Also we plan to support Dallas 1Wire devices so you can have dozens more
switches or sensors such as temperature, 4-input ADC, DAC, switches, etc
which do not require high speed access.

If anyone will be in Boston Sep 4-7 at the Embedded Systems Conference, we
will be in booth 1621 with some Legos and JCX demos. I'd be eager to meet
some Lego fanatics.

Bruce Boyes
------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
  Real embedded Java and much more