 Robotics / 15725
Re: Announcement: probable virus-intoxicated e-mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:37:53 GMT

"Simon Bogaert" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message

PS: This virus is known since march, and still my very up to date Mcafee
Viruscan did not notice it!

Weird. I run VirusScan here (mostly 4.0.3a, a couple of 4.51) and every
single user that has received a copy of the W32/Magistrar@MM exe has had it
picked up and renamed by VS before they could run it. I get my DAT updates
via Enterprise SecureCast and drop them onto our network to update all PCs
just after I get them, and so far we have not been infected with any
virus/worm/trojan. Luckily we are only a small company so mostly users come
to me and say "I've received this, should I run it or is it another virus?".

Did you check that you had updated the scan engine (currently 4.1.40) as
well as the DATs? Some newer infections can only be picked up with the newer
scan engine, easiest way to ensure you always up to date is run the
sdat4XXX.exe files rather than just the 4XXXxdat.exe files which only update
the DATs.

Dan