 Robotics / 15678
Re: Of Interest To Robotics Folks? Perhaps...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 19:27:41 GMT

In a message dated 7/4/2001 12:29:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
carlos@cs.buap.mx writes:

<< lego-robotics@crynwr.com >>

Carlos,

I couldn't have said it better!!!

Tonya Witherspoon
http://education.wichita.edu/classes/lego

<<All this is besides the point! Lego should support Mac, simply because it
should!

The Mac is an option for consumers (whom some people say is much superior to
Windoze), and while it's there companies and organisms -especially those in
education- should support it! Now don't tell me the Lego is not in
education. Lego is DEFINITLY in the business educating (education is also
achieved at home, not only in school, and that is where those who say that
the DACTA product is enough are dead wrong)!

If we simply wanted our children to have fun we would buy them G.I Joes (or
whatever is hot nowadays)! We buy Lego because it not only entertains, it
also educates. I (want to) believe that Lego is an 'enlightened' company for
this reason. It is a company that cares about its consumers, and about
giving them a good product; not just about stats and figures, or what is
more profitable! Now, supporting the Mac is what an 'enlightened' company
would do.

Lets not forget that Lego bricks in general, and the RCX in particular, are
an educational TOY. They are meant for children. As a CS graduate I *love*
Linux (and most flavors of UNIX for that matter, and truly dislike Windoze
for the crappy OS that it is). I prefer NQC, and particularly LegOS over the
RIS packaged SW; but I would NEVER want my 6 year old having to install
LegOS!

The ideal situation is this: He plugs the USB tower directly to my home Imac
(yes I use Mac at home, even if I use Solaris at work), inserts the CD that
automatically install itself, and starts playing! A while later he turns
back at me SMILING and says: "Look dad it follows the line!"

I think that Lego is more about childrens' smiles than about supporting only
"profitable" OSs.

--
Carlos Antonio Pérez Delgado       ICQ # 41048818
carlitos@programmer.net         carlos@cs.buap.mx