 Robotics / 15655
Re: Of Interest To Robotics Folks? Perhaps...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 04:20:53 GMT

Matthew Gerber wrote:

GAH! It sure is hard to follow the robotics stuff from outside LUGNET when
it shows up like this. Anywho...right, K'Nex is releasing as educational
only, but they ARE making a concerted effort to support MacOS right out of
the box...LEGO has always counted on aftermarket support, educators, and
hobbyists to work it out, and bow to kvetching infrequently, if at all.

Well, you have to look at it from Lego's perspective.  If they try to support
two, three...twelve minority operating systems, how much will it increase their
sales?  Now, if they spend that effort on making their Windoze package yet
fancier and easier to use...what will that return?   I don't see that Mac
support could ever be profitable - so they don't do it.

...and before I get swamped by flames from Mac enthusiasts - I should point
out that I'm a 100% Linux user and we are even LESS well supported by Lego.
We get nothing - nada - zip...despite being a similarly sized market to Mac.

We'll all see if/when LEGO gets 2.0 out if it'll finally be the answer to
our wishes for Mac...unfortunately, LEGO is good at stumbling out of the
blocks, especially with something that SHOULD be good or has been hyped up.

Now that Mac *is* running UNIX, the smartest thing to do is to lobby Lego
to keep up with publishing the low level details of their interfaces (which
costs them very little really) - and get down to providing an OpenSource
solution that benefits Linux *and* Mac users...and BSD, Solaris, BeOS...everyone.

NQC is such an effort - and it's probably *the* most frequently used mechanism
for writing serious Lego software.  LegOS is another...there are lots of them.

HomeMail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net     http://tuxaqfh.sf.net  http://tuxkart.sf.net
           http://agtoys.sf.net   http://prettypoly.sf.net
           http://freeglut.sf.net http://toobular.sf.net