 Robotics / 15553
Re: Need Masses of Technical Info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:16:53 GMT

Sean Watson <SeanWatson@ec.rr.com> wrote:
communication FROM the RCX TO the IR Tower/PC (as opposed to the other way
around)

RCX->PC is difficult because of the tower hardware.  The tower shuts off a
few seconds after it completes transmission to save power.  Messages from
the RCX that arrive during or after the shut off are truncated or not
received.  The tower works best in request/reply mode where the PC requests
something and the RCX replies to it.  In request/reply mode, a good
practical cap on the max number of data bytes to transfer from RCX to PC in
one go is 256 (does not include header, complements, or checksum).  Larger
sizes might work, but I know 256 works.  When grabbing the ROM image, I
distinctly remember having to reduce the size to avoid losing data to the
tower shutting off.  I ended up using the 256 size.

communication from RCX to RCX

This is not a problem, but if you use the standard firmware you are limited
to one byte transfers.  If you roll your own code to do this you can do
pretty arbitrary stuff modulo general reliability of IR communication,
which can be flaky depending on your lighting environment, orientation of
RCXs, etc.  I think LegOS might include some useful general IR code, but I
am not sure.

and how the H8 chip talks to the RAM included in the RCX (not the RAM in the
H8, but the 32K of external RAM, I was not able to figure this out from the
Hitachi manual)

If I remember correctly one or more pins are hardwired to tell the H8 to
expect a memory to be attached to it.  I/O ports 1, 2, and 3, and parts of
port 4 are therefore dedicated to accessing the external RAM.  The RAM is
memory mapped into the H8 address space.  There should be a diagram in the
H8 docs that shows the various memory maps.  One of those is the right one.
Since I don't have the docs in front of me I can't tell you which it is,
but you should be able to figure it out.

-Kekoa