 Robotics / 15542
Re: ADSL and LAN (was: i neeeeeed help! can't logon to the lego site)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:56:10 GMT

Hi

Was it that hard to get PPPoE set up under Linux?  I haven't got any problem
connecting to my provider; even surfing (with Lynx!) worked.
I am also planning to couple my ADSL connection to my network using a Linux
firewall.  As my software, Roaring Penguin PPPoE (don't know what version),
uses the pppd to create a way to the Internet, I guess it's pretty much the
same as using a regular modem connection.

I'd like to have your opinion on this (haven't tried anything yet)

Simon

If your provider uses PPPoE you're best buying the Linksys
router/sitch(hub?) combo unit, as many of the PPPoE 3rd party software
authentication application fail miserably when using a Linux firewall.
Resorted to using this hardware after several frustrating hours fixing
clients firewalls and rebuilding kernels.