 Robotics / 15538
Re: ADSL and LAN (was: i neeeeeed help! can't logon to the lego site)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:28:10 GMT

So here is my question with ADSL - can it be used, and work well with, a
private LAN? I have a LAN (Win2k server based) in my house that includes • the
server being a DNS server, DHCP server and Domain controller. I have this
configuration so that I can have a domain for development/programming
reasons. I basically want to have all computers on the LAN be able to • access
the internet. I've been really interested in ADSL/DSL (does it matter?) • but
haven't been able to find a good answer to this question if this
configuration can work. I would think I could put the DSL modem/net card • in
the server and also have the LAN network card (basically dual-homed • server)
and have the server act as a "software" based router/firewall.

I'm kinda new to networking, though I was able to setup my home LAN, so
please define any acronyms that might be used.

There's an overview of this, from a UK perspective, here:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/pcmag/labs/2001/06/broadband/05.html

The 'DSL in practise' section might be of interest to you.

HTH

Tom.