 Robotics / 1548
RE: Semantic Shuttle Cost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:04:45 GMT

Billions and billions of apologies for everyone who has flatulently
semanticised, on this list and the billions of others out there.

You should remember, however, that almost anyone who plays with Lego is
going to tend to be meticulously semantic. Besides, I can't get people in
the break room at work to get into 30-thread discussions on number systems.
To whom can we turn for internationally-charged numeric system breakdowns? I
spent a whole day watching alt.offtopic.gumflappers without seeing a single
post.

Now, back on topic. While 'BC', when used to designate a year's position in
relation to the year 0, goes _after_ the year (e.g., 149 BC), many feel that
'AD' goes before the year (e.g., AD 79). How's it done in England? What
about the millennium -- is it January 1st, 2000 or January 1st, 2001? Should
it be observed according to Greenwich Mean Time, or the International Date
Line? Since it is a human milestone, and not a planetary one, perhaps we
should use a Middle East timezone, as it is generally recognized as the
cradle of human civilization. I'd be interested to see what people in New
Zealand think about this. Who else besides the UK and the US have a numeric
term (dozen) for 12? Anyone got one for 37?

If a Japanese person who speaks English as a second language uses the
'British Standard' for defining 'billion', which is worth more -- an
American-billion American pennies, or a British-billion Japanese yen?

Oops, sorry. Got back on the billion thread. Again, deepest apologies for
any bullshit and/or flatulence.

Personally, I'm currently working on a Master/Pet relationship with
Mindstorms -- the Master holding a flashlight that the pet uses to find it
(the Master not necessarily needing to know where the pet is). At this
point, the 'Master' can call the pet, make the pet heel, make the pet stay.
Telling the pet (via IR messaging) that it's a 'good boy' makes it revolve
quickly around the master -- telling it it's a 'bad boy' makes it turn tail
and travel away from the Master (until called).

Seems simple, but was a fun project in terms of interacting 'bots -- it
taught me a lot more about robotics than my attempts at 'battle bots'. Next
on the agenda is teaching the pet to fetch, and giving the Master a bit more
intelligence in the way it commands the pet. Billions of moments of fun.

-- Tom Pierce
-- "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him gargle it."
-- tomp@citrix.removetheobviouspart.com