 Robotics / 15447
Re: Can the infra red port on the REC be directed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 22:27:11 GMT

Zac Soden wrote:

Hi everyone.
I had an idea for using the RCX's with directional communications.

Why not use master-slave principle or time-slots ?

Has
anyone been able to direct the infra red by covering the port with bricks
and leaving a small hole?
Just a thought. I had a quick go but it didnt work.

I think it will be quit difficult (even with lenses), because the IR transmittors and receivers are chosen to be very omni-directional.
With a simple hole you probably loose a lot of energy and besides that the smaller the hole, the wider the beam (think of a pinhole, camera obscura).

zSoden

Stef Mientki