 Robotics / 15310
15309  |  15311
Subject:
New Software Library For RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 04:24:45 GMT

Hello Fellow MindStormers,

I've just uploaded a new library for the RCX to the web. It's called
SoftBricks, and you can find it here:

http://www.geocities.com/dave_leeper/Robots/SoftBricks.htm

SoftBricks is an object oriented library for use in Visual Basic, or any
other language that supports COM. SoftBricks has the following benefits:

* Allows object oriented programming of the RCX. RCX hardware components are
represented by SoftBricks software components. For example, there are motor,
sensor, variable, and datalog components.

* Eases the programming of difficult areas. For example, SoftBricks contains
three different light sensor calibration routines for use under different
circumstances, as well as code that can allow the robot to make decisions
based on the results of light sensors that have been calibrated.

* Extends the abilities of the RCX. For example, SoftBricks includes the
RoboCall Protocall, which allows robots to send messages of unlimited length
through their IR port.

* Provides solutions to common problems that are already tested. For
example, line and gradient following routines are provided.

* Provides several useful utilities. For example, utilities to sort a range
of variables, or find the highest or lowest value in a range of variables
are provided.

The download, while large, includes an ActiveX DLL, a test program, full
source, a 135 page tutorial and reference manual, and several Excel
spreadsheets that contain dozens of pre-written programs that demonstrate
the abilities of SoftBricks.

The download is free. I hope you guys enjoy using the software as much as I
enjoyed writing it!