 Robotics / 15260
Re: Orthogonal Robot Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 01:54:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tom Trentham writes:
If others have built this kind of robot I would be interested to hear from
you.

Hi Tom,
I've built something similar to your robot, but I cheated! I used some balls
from four computer trackballs (the excellent Logitech TrackMan Marble).
You can find some pictures of it here:
http://wegmuller.org/lego/index.html
(scroll all the way down the page.)

Since those pictures were taken, I've built a much simpler (and faster)
version using four motors driving the balls directly through four 43mm
wheels (the very first Technic wheels, used in set 850.). By inverting the
direction of two of the motors, the robot can even spin around its center...

Greetings,
David

PS: I work for Logitech, which made it easy to find four track balls 8-)