 Robotics / 15186
Re: Serial Port Protocol
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:02:06 GMT

douglas edric stanley <destanley@mac.com> wrote:
... some confusing with repeated messages ...

Here is an example that I hope clears things up:

You said you know how to make the RCX beep.  You didn't go into details,
but to summarize, it is something to the effect of sending it 51 00 encoded
in 55 ff 00 with complements and checksums.  Other beeps are made by
sending 51 01 or 51 02 etc in the same fashion.

Now lets say you made the RCX beep once.  To get it to beep again
immediately after the first beep, you need to toggle the 08 bit of the
opcode.  In this case, the opcode is 51, Play Sound.  Flipping the 08 bit
gives you 59 instead of 51, since 51 XOR 08 is 59.  Now say you got the RCX
to beep a second time.  Next time, you need to send 51.

That is what it means to toggle the 0x08 bit.

If you take a look at the Opcode Reference for play sound:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/opcodes.html#play_sound

you will note that it is listed as 51/59.  These are the two versions of
Play Sound, one with the 08 bit set, one without.

Anyways, let me know if you are still confused.

-Kekoa