 Robotics / 15185
15184  |  15186
Subject:
Serial Port Protocol
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:22:50 GMT

Hi all. I'm new to the list.

I'm using Robolab and NQC on a Mac, interfacing with Macromedia Director 8
through the serialXtra. So far so good, thanks in no small part to the info
posted by Dave Baum and Kekoa Proudfoot. I can make the Lego "beep" and send it
messages which control the RCX. All from Director. When I get it working
perfectly I can put it open-source somewhere, as I saw on the list that
periodically people ask about interfacing Director with Mindstorms. I've done a
lot of robotics interfacing with Director, and I've always found it a perfect
match.

But it's not perfect yet. I've run into the odd repeat-serial communications
protocol issues. When I clear out the message buffer in my Robolab program,
message sending works fine, i.e. I can send over and over the same message.

But when I do a "beep", as Dave Baum explained how to do, I run into the
messaging problems Kekoa outlined at:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/#Protocol

Notably: "Messages sent by PC seem to alternate between having 0x08 set and not
set. This 0x08 bit is a sequence bit only in one special case. RCX never
executes same exact opcode twice in a row. Second and beyond are dropped. But
the same reply that was sent the first time is sent again. Toggle 0x08 bit to
make sure same opcode twice in a row is accepted."

I'm not totally sure I understand this. I don't know what Opcodes are. I
undstood the following comment, "Sometimes packets start with aa ff 00 instead
of 55 ff 00", so I made a flip-flop header routine that switches between "55"
and "AA" (I guess this is 0x55 and 0x100-0x55 ?)  in Lingo and I stop getting
parity errors from the Serial Xtra. But I still haven't  understood exactly what
the 0x08 bit is. Where is this 0x08 bit? For me, the 0x08 bit is 2^7. So do I
add 128? Or is this some sort of signed/unsigned issue? (I'm not an expert at
all this, I get by as well as I can).

When Dave wrote:

"At the packet level, all packets look like this: '0x55 0xff 0x00 D1 ~D1 D2 ~D2
... Dn ~Dn C ~C' where D1...Dn are the message body, and C = D1 + D2 + ... Dn.
The data for sending an IR message is F7 followed by the 8 bit "message". For
example: '55 ff 00 f7 08 12 ed 09 f6' "

I got it, and it got messaging working, but this was incomplete. When you try
this with sending a beep (D1 = 0x51, D2 = 0x03) you can only send it once. You
have to send another message before sending a second beep.

So I'm kind of trapped between Dave's explanation which is, for me, half
complete (because he doesn't explain how to deal with toggling issues at the
packet level); and Kekoa's response which was just slightly over my head. I've
done bitmasking and all that fun stuff, but again I'm not a pro. I only get by
with tinkering...

Douglas Edric Stanley
destanley@mac.com

http://www.abstractmachine.net

Professor of Digital Arts, School of Fine Arts, Aix-en-provence
Artist-in-residence, Laboratoire SCAN, Villa Arson, Nice
Artist/Researcher, Interactive Aesthetics Lab (LEI), University of Paris 8