 Robotics / 1503
RE: Space Shuttle Costs -- Millions upon millions......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:13:34 GMT

and all this has what to do with legos?

Bill Barfoot
I.T. Analyst
BBARFOOT@TOSCO.COM

-----Original Message-----
From: Fauste, Jose L(Z35080) [SMTP:JFAUSTE@apsc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 2:06 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com; 'trowton@broadcast.com'
Cc: Fauste, Jose L(Z35080)
Subject: RE: Space Shuttle Costs -- Millions upon millions......

Basically, the difference in the numbering conventions between the US
and many other countries (I can only tell for Spain, but it looks like
the UK and France do the same, so I'd venture it's the same in all
Europe) is that the US jumps into the billions after a thousand
millions
and into the trillions after a thousand billions, while "the rest of
the
world" jumps into the billions after a million millions and into the
trillions after a million billions.

In the US,
1 billion = one thousand millions (10 to the 9th)
1 trillion = one thousand billions (10 to the 12th)
1 quadrillion = one thousand trillions (10 to the 15th)

Spain (and probably rest of Europe):
1 billion = one million millions (10 to the 12th)
1 trillion = one million billions (10 to the 18th)
1 quadrillion = one million trillions (10 to the 24th)

That's the reason why McDonald's can sell billions of hamburgers much
faster in the US than in the rest of the world......