 Robotics / 14970
Re: program wont stop running
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 01:15:27 GMT

Jeff Canar wrote:

I've never had this happen before, and don't know why it's doing it
now.  A program as simple as:

task main()
{
  SetPower(OUT_A,7);
  OnFwd(OUT_A);
}

won't stop running after i hit the "Run" button on the rcx (1.5).
Also, the little person in the display window doesn't move.  The
program runs fine (motor goes on), i just cant stop it.

Well, I think this is doing exactly what I'd expect...here is the
sequence of events:

  * You press the RUN button.
  * The little man starts running.
  * About a thousandth of a second later, it sets the power level to 7
  * About a thousandth of a second after *that*, the motor is started.
  * About a thousandth of a second after *that*, the program ends...and...
  * The little man stops walking.

So, you didn't see the program run - it was all over in much less than
the blink of an eye...you don't see the little guy move on the LCD because
the LCD probably can't even respond in so short a period.

Then it's all over...the program *isn't* running - so pressing buttons
to stop it doesn't help.

The motor is still running because the computer in the RCX turned it
on...and didn't turn it off again.  RCX programs don't automatically
lock up the house and turn off the lights when they go bye-bye's.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>