 Robotics / 14811
    Re: Shutting off illumination LED on Light Sensor for LIDAR —Matthias Jetleb
   (...) I strongly suspect this is a myth. A transistor is a transistor is a transistor. They all require biasing in order to function properly and that requires power. Mind you, even so-called passive devices must either generate a voltage or have a (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Shutting off illumination LED on Light Sensor for LIDAR —Juergen Stuber
   (...) Actually you don't need LegOS, any input set to raw mode with the LEGO firmware will do fine. This is because even in passive mode there is a pull up of 10k to 5V, and in fact the LED is glowing dimly in this mode. Just tried it, I can get raw (...) (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Shutting off illumination LED on Light Sensor for LIDAR —Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
   (...) Yes, this is the result I discovered this weekend. My conclusion is that setting the sensor to raw mode does not fully remove the light produced by the LED, and detrimentally impacts the sensor performance. I think my next approach is to try (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)