 Robotics / 14686
RE: RCX & Cybermaster (VLL comms and MicroScout)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 04:42:13 GMT

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Marco Correia wrote:

Actually, if I recall correctly, the sensor inputs are quite happy to
accept voltage inputs up to 9V, in RAW mode anyway.  It might not be good
if they
were in an "active" mode, though (rotation sensor, light sensor).  I don't
know what would happen in that case.  Maybe the brick can take it and
maybe it can't.  Anyone know more than me and care to comment?

MG

-----Original Message----- • [snip]
In lugnet.technic, Marco Correia writes:
Hi Chris,

Do a search for "CM-RCX Comm" thread, in lugnet.robotics :) • [snip]
Thx, Marco. I'm investigating! btw, Do you mean that they communicate
through a standard lead attached to sensor inputs, say, or some other
electrical connection?

Yep, besides using the "normal" Light->LightSensor type of comms, the direct
electric connection is possible too, by using NQC's Off() and Float()
commands, you simulate the ON/OFF state of a TouchSensor. This way, it's
possible to use a connection through a standard lead attached between a
(motor) OUT-port and a (sensor) IN-port

Be careful not to use any OnFrw() or OnRev() type of commands, because that
would send a 9Volt signal through the IN-port, and that's not good.
(well... by accident, I did that once, and thankfully nothing happened to
the in-port of my CyberMaster. Nevertheless, it's not a wise thing to do ;)