 Robotics / 14633
14632  |  14634
Subject:
Vision Command Nightmare (long post)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:29:38 GMT

I recently purchased Vision Command from Target.Com.  I own an aging machine
(p-233, 64 ram, win ME) but one that stil suits my needs.  Running Windows
ME I thought that using USB devices would be no problem.  I went through the
install process, and all seemed well.  Then I could not get the camera to
work.  I then used the "Fix It" option that the program offers.  Once more
all seems well until it is restart time. Then I get a truly ominous message
from Windows, that goes something like this "unable to find or access
following file: browseui.dll. Restart Windows to fix this error.  So restart
I go.  Same problem.  This is when i find out what browse.dll does.
Browse.dll tells windows what all of your shortcuts access, and without it
none of them work.  I really began to panic when I could not access System
Restore (one of the better features of Windows).  So now I go safe moding.
Fortunately safemode automatically brings up System Restore.  5 Minutes
later all works once more.  Realising that i must have some sort of problem
with the USB drivers, or even possibly the ports themselves (my mouse won't
work via USB either, I go to uninstall VC.  The only problem here is that VC
doesn't want to uninstall, so more screams of anguish rise into the night
air.  My final conclusion is that perhaops it was best that I did not get a
functioning video camera for my legos or my computer, and 50$ does buy a lot
of technic parts from pitsco, and LSAH.  Did anyone else have this kind of
Problem???

Mike Broam out