 Robotics / 14534
Re: article in JavaWorld and Garbage Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:03:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Corey Snipes writes:

Since LeJOS doesn't currently implement garbage collection, it seems
there are 2 very different directions one could go from here.  One
would be to implement garbage collection in some fashion, and the
other would be to implement a c-esque "free()" so that it could be done
manually.

I realize the second suggestions probably runs counter to many folks'
java sensibilities.  However, as I understand it the biggest obstacle
to implementation of Java in real-time (ie, robotics) systems is
garbage collection and the unpredictability that it adds to a running
system.  Since it's not presently a "problem" in LeJOS, might a free()
in the .rcx package be useful?

I would not call it running counter to many folks' Java sensibilities,
this suggestion simply violates one of the main Java principles.
I sincerely hope that nobody even remotely considers implementing this.

The only correct way of implementing Java is either with GC or without
freeing memory at all.

That last option is actually not so bad (JavaCard has used it for years)
an traditionally embedded programs simply allocate all memory they need upfront
and then work with that. As long as you know the memory you allocate is never
reclaimed, it is easy to work around it.

--Søren