 Robotics / 14501
Re: article in JavaWorld and Garbage Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:13:38 GMT

Great article, Jonathan!  That's exactly what I need to get started.
Your point about garbage collection (esp. lack thereof)
reminded me of a question I have for everyone:

Since LeJOS doesn't currently implement garbage collection, it seems
there are 2 very different directions one could go from here.  One
would be to implement garbage collection in some fashion, and the
other would be to implement a c-esque "free()" so that it could be done
manually.

I realize the second suggestions probably runs counter to many folks'
java sensibilities.  However, as I understand it the biggest obstacle
to implementation of Java in real-time (ie, robotics) systems is
garbage collection and the unpredictability that it adds to a running
system.  Since it's not presently a "problem" in LeJOS, might a free()
in the .rcx package be useful?

(:  Corey Snipes
    Boulder, CO, USA
    csnipes at qwest dot net

In lugnet.robotics, Jonathan Knudsen writes:
Enjoy!

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-02-2001/jw-0209-lejos.html

Regards,
Jonathan