 Robotics / 14526
RE: Two New Contests at BrickBots.Com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:03:29 GMT

Am I completely thick or is the problem simpler than I'm imagining? Way
back when at the University of Waterloo, we designed a 2D
inverted pendulum
balancer on a plotter bed. The pendulum rotated a sensor, and we had to
move the bed to keep it stable. You'd get bonus points for moving the bed
in 2 dimensions....

I just don't understand the statement "Build a robot that stabilizes the
inverted pendulum by rotating it" or the picture (which should be enclosed
in a <pre> tag to display properly.

OK, now that I've figured out what the pendulum base looks like, I can
see the advantage of the rotating base, namely that we eliminate the
need for detecting the end of the range of motion!

Thanks to all who helped in my quest for understanding. Now I have to
figure out if I can build this with touch sensors or if I should use
a rotation sensor...

Cheers, Ralph Hempel