 Robotics / 1446
RE: Mindstorm/CyberMaster Swap
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:09:35 GMT

The "more advanced" I was referring to are the pistons, and gears, and
motors. I am going to London in a few days, can it be picked up there?
Say at like Harrods or the like?

Bill Barfoot
I.T. Analyst

-----Original Message-----
From: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com [SMTP:lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 1998 5:16 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Mindstorm/CyberMaster Swap

completely hooked on Mindstorms, and the thought of a more advanced • set
for "grown ups" is very exciting... Can someone enlighten me on this
subject...

Mindstorms _is_ the more advanced set for grownups. Cybermaster is • designed
with "play" in mind -- build the predesigned sets, and make them do
things.

It is but the Cybermaster does have some useful additions that I wish
had
made it into the Mindstorms RCX. The Cybermaster motors have built-in
tachometers that can be used to report trip distance and rotational
speed.
The third motor output (and only this one) has the the ability to
report
motor current (in mA approx) which makes it possible to do stall
detection.
This can save using an additional touch switch to indicate
"end-of-travel".
And, of course, the real biggy is that Cybermaster communicates with
the PC
using radio rather than IR. This doesn't suffer from directional/line
of
sight problems in the way that the RCX system does.

The downside is that the CM motors are built-in to the brick and so it
is
normally only suitable for making some sort of mobile robot. Neither
does it
have a communications mechanism to allow it to send messages to other
CM
bricks; the MS RCX can send simple integer messages to other RCXs
using the
infra-red port. It also only holds one program (cf 5) at a time and 4
(cf
10) concurrent tasks. I also believe that the program space available
is
smaller but I'm not sure how significant this is.

The two lots of supplied software are quite different but I don't
think that
really matters. The RCXCode "visual programming" language of
MindStorms is
virtually useless if you want to do anything anywhere near useful. The
CM CD
has a lot of multi-media stuff geared to kids but it is (for the first
time,
anyway) entertaining and does have a number of model plans included.
Assuming you're going to end up using one of the programming methods
prescribed in this newsgroup/list then I'd say the CM software was
better
(since the MS stuff is next to useless).

The end result is that the choice between MS and CM is not a "no
brainer".
It really depends on the sorts of things you think you're going to
want to
do. My choice would be to buy both, but then I can afford to blame
this sort
of extravagance on my son.

In addition to NQC there are a number of other "add-on" programming
environments for both MS and CM. You can find quite a few on the
MindStorms
web ring:

http://members.tripod.com/~ssncommunity/webrings/legoms_index.html

My particular pet (because I wrote it) is Bot-Kit which can be found
at:

http://www.object-arts.com/Bower/Bot-Kit

Best regards,

Andy Bower