 Robotics / 14443
Re: where to buy RIS (1.0)?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:29:58 GMT

I would like to know where others have recently bought the RIS set,
preferably version 1.0.

I don't think you have a snowballs chance in Hades to find a RIS1.0
anywhere. When I first heard about the difference, I went on an
extensive search for the 1.0 and had to hit over a dozen stores before
finding the last one (hidden at the back of the shelf behind several
1.5's btw). That was in November 1999. The current drought seems to be
related to the immanent release of RIS2.0 supposedly (according to
some reports) in early March. For what it's worth, I placed an order
with Future Shop for a 1.5 when they put them on sale at 50% off, but
I haven't received it yet. Given that it's been six weeks, I get the
impression that it is sold out, however, they have not cancelled my
order to I suspect/expect that I will be getting one of the first
2.0's when they become available at the 1.5's sale price. You might
want to try to find some on-line store that is advertising 1.5's on
sale and place an order. Maybe they too will ship a 2.0 when it
arrives instead. Of course, the fine print in the sales agreement
probably allows Future Shop to cancel the order when they find out
that the 2.0 is a lot more expensive than the sale price they were
offering the 1.5 for on clearance (Future Shop doesn't normally sell
Lego - it was a Christmas item only) so I may not get it after all,
but if they do cancel I'm going to be seriously ticked.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ